Ragdolls are cats breeds with a color point coat and blue eyes.These cats are muscular,large,semi-longhair and with a soft and silky hair.Developed by American breeder Ann Baker in the 1960s,they are known for their placid and docile temperament and their affectionate nature.Their name Ragdold,was derived from the tendency of individuals from the original breeding stock to go limp and relaxed when picked up.
Ragdolls are particularly popular in the United Kingdom and the breed’s native which is the United States.They are often known or said to be dog like cats or puppy=like cats because of their behavior such as their ease when physically handled,their relative lack of aggression towards other pets and also because of their affectionate nature.
Ragdoll kittens are said to have a calm,docile and floppy nature,these characteristics have been passed down from the Persian kittens and the Birman breeds.Opinions vary as to whether this traits might be due to a genetic mutation.
Breed standard marketing and publicity material describes the Ragdoll cat as intelligent,affectionate and relaxed in temperament,the cat is gentle and and easy to lap dog.Because of their placid nature and affectionate they are being described by some as puppy cats or dog like cats with the cat following owners from room to room as well as they also seek for physical affection which is similar to some dog breeds
Ragdoll cats are one of the largest domesticated cat breeds, they have a sturdy body, large frame, and proportionate legs. A fully-grown female Ragdoll weighs from 8 to 15 pounds (3.6 to 6.8 kg). The males are larger, ranging from 12 to 20 pounds (5.4 to 9.1 kg) or more.The genes for point coloration are responsible for the distinctive blue eyes of the Ragdoll. More intense shades of blue are favored in cat shows. Although the breed has a plush coat, it consists mainly of long guard hairs, while the lack of a dense undercoat results, according to the Cat Fanciers’ Association, in “reduced shedding and matting”.
Ragdolls cat breed come in 6 different colors: seal,red, chocolate and the corresponding “dilutes”, including blue, lilac, and cream. This also includes the lynx and tortoiseshell variations in all colors and the 3 patterns. Ragdoll cat breeds are born white; they have good color at 8–10 weeks and full color and coat at 3–4 years. The different patterns are:
- Colorpoint – color darkening at the extremities (nose, ears, tail, and paws).
- Mitted – it is thesame as pointed, but with white paws and abdomen. With or without a blaze (a white line or spot on the face), but must have a “belly stripe” (white stripe that runs from the chin to the genitals) and a white chin. Mitted Ragdolls, which weren’t allowed titling in CFA until the 2008–2009 show season, are often confused with Birmans. The easiest way to tell the difference is by size (the Ragdoll being obviously larger) and chin color (Mitted Ragdolls have white chins,while Birmans have colored chins), although breeders recognize the two by head shape and boning.
- Bicolor – White legs, white inverted V on the face, white abdomen and sometimes white patches on the back. (Excessive amounts of white, or high white, on a bicolor are known as the Van pattern, although this does not occur nearly as often as the other patterns.)
- Lynx – A variant of the above having tabby markings.
- Tortoiseshell or “tortie”- A variant noted for mottled or parti-colored markings in the above patterns.
Generally,Ragdolls are very healthy kittens though they a few encounter a few health condition such as heart condition known as Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and bladder stones.Cardiomyopathy(HCM) is one of the most popular heart conditions with cats.But note that it is rare for a Ragnoll kitten to face or encounter any of this health conditions mentioned above due to the breeds healthy condition
Ragdoll cat breed have a diverse diet,high is vitamins and proteins.They need good sources of meat too,nit just anything.They ingredients have to specify what animal and what organ the mean comes from.When it comes to feeding your Ragdoll,you should be looking for something that has a zero cereal content as possible.There are many other options too for feeding your cat.Raw meat,home prepared meals,as well as some occasional treats are all good feeding options